Wake Up on Table Mountain – Overseers Cottage Overnight
Most people’s Table Mountain experience is limited to a day-time hike or cruise up in the cable car to marvel at the views. However, those in the know choose the complete and privileged experience of spending a night in the comfortable surroundings of the Overseers Cottage, perched above Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, with views over False Bay and the distant Hottentots Holland Mountains. Feast your soul on the fynbos, fresh mountain air and stunning views? In addition, you will enjoy the specialist knowledge of local guides, indulge in sundowners, fireside conversation, fine food, good company and comfortable beds. To top it all off, imagine waking up to a panoramic sunrise and the smell of fresh croissants and coffee – all in a mountain setting, in the middle of the city.
Some routes and activities are weather dependent. Professional guides will also assess the group’s ability and requirements, to select the most suitable routes.
Wake Up On Table Mountain – Kirstenbosch to Overseers Cottage (2 days / 1 night)
09h00: Arrive at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens to meet your guide.
09h30: Stroll through the Gardens up to the contour path before selecting the most appropriate route up the mountain. Standard options are Skeleton Gorge, Nursery Ravine, Cecelia Buttress and Cecelia Forest /Jeep Track – this depends on weather conditions, season and group fitness.
12h00 – 12h30: Arrive at Overseers Cottage in time for lunch
14h00: A stroll to the Waterworks Museum, then on to the top of Kasteels Poort on the western side of the mountain and walk back to the cottages takes past the historic Hely-Hutchinson, Woodhead, Victoria and Alexandra dams, and back towards the view of False Bay and the Cape Flats. (Route and timing may vary according to weather and needs of the group)
19h30: Dinner is served – this is in the form of a traditional South African Braai.
09h30: Follow Smuts Track to Skeleton Gorge, Nursery Ravine and Echo Valley. From there we walk to Maclears Beacon – the highest point on the mountain.
13h00: We select a good spot for lunch (lunch pack provided) depending on weather and timing.
14h00: After lunch complete the experience with a walk down Platteklip Gorge, finishing at the lower cable station.
Transport to accommodation in Cape Town can be arranged on request.
Note: Accommodation can be arranged at the Platteklip Wash House for the night before the start. This is a self-catering venue within the Table Mountain National Park, on the lower slopes of the Mountain, on the border of the suburb of Oranjezicht and close to the Cape Town CBD. Catering at this venue is available by arrangement.
There are various route and package options, including:
- A finish back in Kirstenbosch Gardens
- A walk to Vlakkenberg Peak and finish at Groot Constantia for wine tasting
You will need:
- A day pack for warm clothing & your pack lunch (supplied)
- Cold / wet weather gear – even if the weather looks good it can change on the mountain – the evenings can also be cold, even in summer.
- Good hiking boots & socks.
- Water bottle(s) for at least 2 lt of water. Filtered tap water is available. Bottled water is for your own cost and discouraged for environmental reasons.
* You are welcome to bring your own wine, beers or cold drinks. If would like us to purchase drinks for you please provide a list of your requirements. We gladly do this with a service fee of 25% of cost. Ice and cooling facilities for drinks are provided at the overnight venue.
Cost: R2350 per person all inclusive. Ask about our Wild Card and group discounts